Monday, November 25, 2013

Gusto Ko Lamang sa Buhay - Itchyworms || Lyrics & Translation ||

Direct translation of the title (and that repetitive phrase in the song) is "What I Only Want in Life". A better sounding one would be "The Only Thing I Want In Life" but I preferred to use the former since using he word "thing" would mean quite differently... or maybe I'm just thinking too much? Oh well papel... 

Also, I'll be explaining stuff at the end of this post. Hahaha. I just realized that it sounded kinda pervy while I was translating and it made me laugh a bit.




Tagalog/Original

[Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay...

Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay murang gasolina
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay, yung mag-swimming sa beach nang matagal na matagal
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay kapayapaan
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay ang banal na tinapay
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay mag-travel at bumili ng souvenirs
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay ang makalasap ng kaakbay (?)
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay -- Konting --- at lalong lalo na ---]

Ayokong maghintay pa sa imposible
Ayoko ng mga romatikong sine
Ayoko nang umasa pa sa walang silbi

Ayokong tumawid 'pag pinagbabawal
Ayoko ng kapeng maraming asukal
Ayokong bumili ng underwear na mahal

*Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay yakapin mo ako
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay yakapin mo (ako)

Hindi naman ako milyonaryo
Basta’t araw-araw yakap mo ko
Feeling ko ang yaman yaman ko

Ok lang kung ‘di maging presidente
Ok lang kung mawalan ng kuryente
Ok lang kung ang bumbilya’y walang sindi

Ok lang kung ketchup lamang ang ulam
Ang gulay ay hindi naman kailangan
Basta’t sa sandwich mo, ako ang iyong palaman

Repeat *

Feeling ko ang yaman yaman ko

Ang dami ko pang sinabi
Tungkol sa aking sarili
Lahat ng yun, ‘di na bale
Ikaw lang ang importante

Yakapin mo ako, lunurin sa iyo
Salubungin ng ‘yong mga bisig
Dama ko ang ‘yong pag-ibig

Yakapin mo ako
Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay yakapin mo ako

Repeat *

Yakapin mo ako
Feeling ko ang yaman yaman ko...


English

[What I only want in life is...

What I only want in life is low-priced gasoline
What I only want in life, to go swimming at the beach for a long, long time
What I only want in life is peace
What I only want in life is the holy bread
What I only want in life is to travel and buy souvenirs
What I only want in life is to have a partner (?)
What I only want in life is -- a bit of --- and of course --- ]

I don't want to wait for the impossible any longer
I don't like romantic movies
I don't want to rely on someone worthless anymore

I don't want to cross the road if it's not allowed
I don't like coffee with lots of sugar
I don't want to buy expensive underwear

*What I only want in life is for you to embrace me
What I only want in life is for you to embrace (me)
I'm not even a millionare
As long as you keep me in your arms everyday
I feel as though I'm really, really wealthy

It's ok to not be the president
It's ok to lose electricity
It's ok even if the light bulb won't light up

+It's ok if the main dish is ketchup
Vegetable isn't even needed
As long as in your sandwich, I'm the filling+

Repeat *

I feel as though I'm really, really rich

I even said a lot of things
About myself
All of them, don't bother anymore
You're the only important one

Embrace me, drown me in you
Welcome me with your arms
I feel your love

Embrace me
What I only want in life is for you to hug me

Repeat *

Embrace me
I feel as though I'm really, really rich


- - - - - - - - - -- -  - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -  - - -- - 
(?) So it's the first time that I've really seen the whole music video/promotional video and I actually have no clue what this part says. According to some websites, it says "Gusto ko lamang sa buhay ay makalasap ng kapayapaan" ---> "What I only want in life is to feel a glimpse of peace" but I couldn't really hear that. I hear something else. It's nothing close to that, so I wrote the closest thing that I could comprehend. Apologies. You can correct me anytime in the comments. Thanks.

Feeling vs. Feel I felt the need to explain this part since I always try to equate the translations and make them sound as accurate as to those in the original lyrics. The original uses "feeling" and there is no way I am translating that part as "I'm feeling as if I'm really, really rich". It also sounds right on its own, but not when you take in consideration the tense of the previous line. However, in the original language, it is accepted to use the -ing ones since it fits with the way we speak and the connotation is different compared to the English one. I'm sure it also happens to other languages, case in point, Japanese. I might be able to explain it better next time... If I still feel like doing it. It's almost 4 am and I've no proper sleep so yeah it might be because im feeling a bit unwell 

+It's ok if the main dish is ketchup
Vegetable isn't even needed
As long as in your sandwich, I'm the filling+

At first, I thought that the song is referring to ketchup as the filling. I was about to add quotation marks and indicate that it might probably be the ketchup talking but lo! How dumb I was. The singer's a guy and the connotation.. just.. kinda sounds pervy. He wants to be the filling. To your sandwich. To a female's sandwich. (This song is directed to females... yeah...) It's a bit too degrading for my tastes but I've always enjoyed the song without giving mind to its implications.. But well.. whatever... I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment